photo4  photo3  statue  photo1  stained glass  Luther Cross
Immanuel Lutheran Church - Altamont, Illinois
 

History of Immanuel Lutheran Church
1874 - A Joyful Past - A Certain Future

Immanuel celebrated their 125th Anniversary in 1999.  The congregation has over 935 Baptized and 740 Confirmed members.  Most of the membership is descended from German speaking immigrants from the Province of Pomerania in northeast Germany.  For ninety years the membership worshipped in a white frame church with a tall steeple.  In 1969 they built a modern, one-level worship center with a beautiful pipe organ.

Christian Education has always been a priority for Lutherans in Altamont.  In the early years the pastor taught 40 to 60 children in the church building.  Later a separate school building behind the church was used and expanded to two rooms.  In 1959 a new school building was dedicated.  Some years later the Altamont Lutheran Interparish School was organized.  Continued growth meant a larger enrollment and more classrooms were added.  Today the four area LCMS congregations have about 160 students enrolled, Kindergarten through Eighth grades.  We give thanks to the Lord for His blessing in the past and are confident of His continued goodness today and in the future.

We have many opportunities for youth and adults to serve and continue to grow in faith.  We have activities for Jr. High and Sr. High Youth, Ladies Bible Study groups and Study and Service groups, Men's Bible Study, Small Group Ministry, Lutheran Care Center Auxiliary, Fellowship Club and Sunday Morning Sunday School and Bible Study.